PROMOTION AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE TRUFFLE AREAS IN THE MARCHE REGION
- PROFESSIONAL ADVISOR (GIANLUIGI GREGORI)
In 1981, due to the importance of truffle growing in Italy and in the Marche Region, the Truffle Growing Experimental Centre of Sant’Angelo in Vado (PU) was set up by the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food and the Marche Region. The location was chosen since the inventor of the modern Italian truffle growing, Mr. Mannozzi Torini used to work in the Forestry Nursery of Valmetauro, bordering the Centre.
The Centre aims at researching to increase the truffle production and exploit the natural truffle inheritance.
Its activities concern:
- the nursery sector: application on a large scale of modern production techniques of mycorrhized and certified truffle plants with Tuber mushrooms, to create new cultivated truffle-grounds (new plantations) and increase supervised ones (i.e. natural truffle-grounds properly improved by planting out a reasonable number of truffle plants);
Application forms for truffle plants as well as detailed advices and information are available onASSAM web site
- the environmental sector: the natural truffle environments have been expressly surveyed to detect the main ecologic features of the Tuber species and the ecologic characteristics of the suitable locations to successfully grow truffles. Besides, the center provides for the main specific scientific acquired knowledge;
- the truffle growing sector: by means of experimental pilot truffle-grounds the most suitable agricultural techniques are identified to effectively manage truffle-grounds (cultivated and supervised) across a technical path consistent with the different Tuber species which manages the ground, prunes and waters the plants. The Centre takes part in national and international projects to foster truffle growing;
- the legislative sector: by means of laws on truffle harvesting, growing and promotion (L R n°5/13; DGR n°61/15 );
-the training sector: open days, meetings, forums and trainings addressed to farmers/trufflegrowers (beginners) as well as to technicians/professionals (advanced) to provide principles and methods to grow and select truffles (consumer protection trainings);
Thanks to its activities and achieved results the Truffle Growing Experimental Centre of Sant’Angelo in Vado (PU) has turned into an important reference point within the truffle field at a regional, national and European level, willing to cooperate with foreign institutes.